- Big Paper: Building a Silent Conversation | Students have a written conversation with peers and use silence as a tool to explore the topic. Students Comment on each video’s Big Paper
- Students have a silent conversation in writing with their learning communities
- Each student has a pad of post-it notes.
- Each video is assigned to a Big Paper and
- Videos are viewed in silence.
- After (and during) viewing, students write on post-it notes to respond in silence to set questions and/or to questions and comments previously posted by peers from their own LC or those posted by a previous LC. Responses can be statements and/or questions. (See questions listed below in section, Close Viewing Protocol).
- Post-it notes are placed on the Big Paper in proximity to related post-it notes already on the Big Paper.
- Close Viewing Protocol | Students watch each video and briefly respond to the following questions on the post-it notes provided:
- What do you already know about the topic? How might your prior knowledge of the topic change how you experience the video?
- Is the purpose of this film to teach, persuade, manipulate, or something else?How well is it doing this?
- Who or what is left out of the message?
- Whose interests are served by telling/showing the message in this particular way?
- What other questions or comments do you have?
- Gallery Walk | Still working in silence, students leave their groups to explore, question and/or comment on the Big Papers of their choosing.
- Debrief as a Class |Please share your summative or concluding thoughts?
1.HQT — Ohio Webinar (first 4 min.).
Highly Qualified Teachers — Ohio Webinar, (first 4 minutes are relevant).