With the post-it note in your hand, you have been assigned a chunk or two of Maxine Greene’s Essay, Wide-awakeness and the moral life.
There are two or three people assigned to the same chunk(s).
As well, you have been given a single Google slide labeled with your specific chunk. On that slide, write very brief answers to the following questions:
A. [20 Minutes] Referring only to your assigned chunk(s) of the essay, thoughtfully discuss in writing what Maxine Greene means by
- being awake? (No more than two sentences).
- the moral life? (No more than two sentences).
B. Scan your chunk(s) of the text for the following terms. If you find a term, thoughtfully discuss in writing what Maxine Greene means. (No more than ONE sentence).
- mechanical life
- the system
C. [15 Minutes]Identify someone in class that was assigned a different chunk(s)
- Working together, discuss your answers to the above questions.
- And then, discuss how you would respond to the following questions:
- Why is Greene writing to teachers?
- How are we to educate our students?
- What is the meaning of education?
D. [10 Minutes] As a whole class:
- What does it mean to be awake?
- What is the moral life?