Throughout the semester, we will engage in many small group discussions and a variety other types of learning experiences. While I will lead many, so you will have opportunities to design and lead several experiences as well. The ED253 class is divided into four (4) learning communities responsible for planning and engaging the whole class in three (3) learning experiences (~30 minutes) based on the assigned reading(s) for that day. Readings will be assigned from one or more of the eReadings. The Schedule for these learning experiences can be viewed under the Learning Communities tab.
Your contribution to the development and staging of your class learning experiences will be assessed using the Learning Experience Rubric. Responsibilities include:
- Demonstrated understanding of assigned reading(s);
- Participation in the seminar meeting with me (Dr. Shutkin) in advance of the class learning experience.
- Participation in the planning and staging of the class learning experiences;
- Development of a weblog prompt relevant to the assigned reading and the class learning experiences.
Designing & Leading Discussions
Below please find links to a range of websites with pedagogical ideas and tools to consider as you design and plan your learning experiences.
- Teaching ideas from Facing History
- The Teacher Toolkit! | Engaging techniques for effective teaching
- Activators and Summarizers – Kathy Schrock’s Guide to Everything
- Group work and teamwork
- Discussion-based teaching
- Preparing For Discussion
- Instructional Strategies – Teaching Excellence & Educational Excellence