Readings available on eReserve pw=253edstudies
Learning Community One
- Hinchey, Patricia and Pamela Konkol, 2018. Getting to where we meant to be : working toward the educational world we imagine/d.Chapter 2: What Are Schools For, Anyway? Gorham, Maine : Myers Education Press. pp. 20-51.
- Greene, M. (2018/1978). Wide-awakeness and the moral life. In A. R. Sadovnik, P. W. Cookson Jr., S. F. Semel, & R. W. Coughlan (Eds.), Exploring education: An introduction to the foundations of education (5th ed., pp. 218-224). New York, NY: Routledge.
- Ladson-Billings, G. (2016/1995). But that’s just good teaching! The case for culturally relevant pedagogy. In E. Blair & Y. Medina (Eds.), The social foundations reader: Critical essays on teaching, learning and leading in the 21st century (pp. 285-292). New York, NY: Peter Lang.
Learning Community Two
- Dewey, J. (2018/1897). My pedagogic creed. In A. R. Sadovnik, P. W. Cookson Jr., S. F. Semel, & R. W. Coughlan (Eds.), Exploring education: An introduction to the foundations of education (5th ed., pp. 215-218). New York, NY: Routledge.
- Sulkowski, M. L. (2017). Unauthorized immigrant students in the United States: The current state of affairs and the role of public education. Children & Youth Services Review, 77, 62–68.
- Spring, Joel H. (2018). Ch. 7: Multiculturalism and the Failure of the Common School Ideal. The American School: a global context from the Puritans to the Trump era. 10th ed. New York: Routledge. pp. 184-225.
Learning Community Three
- Fraser, J. (2014). Ch. 8: The Progressive Era, 1890-1950. The School in the United States. New York: Routledge. pp. 204-241.
- Meyer, E. (2007). “But I’m Not Gay”: What Straight Teachers Need to Know about Queer Theory. In N. Rodriquez & W. Pinar (Eds.), Queering Straight Teachers: Discourse and Identity in Education. (pp. 15-32). New York, NY: Peter Lang.
- Superfine, B. (2013). Ch. 3. Brown and the foundations of educational equality. Equality in education law and policy, 1954-2010. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press. pp. 37-67.
Learning Community Four
- Ravitch, D. (2010) The Death and Life of the Great American School System. Chapter 7 Choice: the story of an idea. pp. 113-148. New York: Basic Books.
- Freire, P. (2013/1972). The banking concept of education. In A. S. Canestrari & B. A. Marlowe (Eds.), Education foundations: An anthology of critical readings (3rd ed., pp. 103-115). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Mallett, C. (2016). The School-to-Prison Pipeline: A Critical Review of the Punitive Paradigm Shift. Child & Adolescent Social Work Journal, 33(1), 15–24.