Monday | 18 September
Reading: Dunn-Kenney, M. (2010). Can Service Learning Reinforce Social and Cultural Bias? Exploring a Popular Model of Family Involvement for Early Childhood Teacher Candidates. Journal of Early Childhood Teacher Education, 31(1), 37-48.
Reading for Wednesday 20 September | Spring, Joel (2016) American Education. 3 Education and Equality of Opportunity (66-88).
Assignment Due 2 October Service Essay Annotated Bibliography
Current Affairs in Education
Discussion 1 | Blog Posts from last week
- Present Post
- Service Post
Discussion 2 | What is the point of service learning in an Education course? Service? Learning?
- Overview | of the article
- Context of the reading | The conditions of possibility or relating this reading to service learning and the service learning essay |
- What does it mean to think systemically?|
- Learning to see their own “Whiteness” |
- What is the deficit paradigm? and how to think beyond it? (Where is the cultural deficit model mention in our reading.)
- Individual Reading about Mary, Theresa, and Jamie, an excerpt from Dunn-Kenney, M. (2010, 42-45) |
- Small Group Discussion | Three groups: one for each of the students who “resisted”
- Class discussion
Wednesday | 20 September
- Friday | 22 September Assignment Due: Service BlogPost
- Monday | 25 September Assignment Due: Present BlogPost
- Option to combine PresentPost4 & ServicePost3: Due 25 September
- Grade sheet : GPA??? why so low?
- Thoughts about the Service Learning essay, annotations and proposal
- Current Affairs in Education |
- Lots of Extra Credit (Blog+ 1-2) | Bring in an article from a recent publication (within a week of class date) and present and discuss with the class.
- From now on, to be included, send your article to me by 12:00pm day of class
- Pushed to next week Monday: Discussion of PresentPosts 3
Reading: Spring, Joel (2016) American Education. 3 Education and Equality of Opportunity (66-88).
Discussion 1 |Service learning & Cultural bias in an Education course? (Continued from Monday)
Discussion 2 | Small group discussion based on Spring, Joel (2016) American Education. 3 Education and Equality of Opportunity (66-88).
Discussion 3 | Current thinking : Equality of Opportunity, Towards a New Pedagogy
A text-walk through a few pages and ideas written by Swadener, Beth Blue (2010)
- Those who see nurture… (Spring, 70-71)
- During the last century… (Spring, 81-82)
- Swadener, Beth Blue (2010)
Resource: Swadener, Beth Blue (2010) “At Risk” or “At Promise”? From Deficit Constructions of the “Other Childhood” to Possibilities for Authentic Alliances with Children and Families. International Critical Childhood Policy Studies, 3(1) 7-29.