ED253 includes a mandatory service-learning component through which you will engage in some type of weekly educational service. ED253 courses have a Service-Learning Designation on Banner. Service-learning placements must be coordinated through the Center for Service and Social Action (CSSA).
Zoom Meeting Days & Times at St. Francis School
Mondays 2:00-3:15pm and Wednesdays 2:00-3:15. Ten (10) students are to sign up for each day.
Registration Link: ED 253: https://givepul.se/ezm8wt
Fall 2020 Key Dates
|Fall classes begin||Monday, August 31|
|In-class orientation||Monday, August 31 – Friday, September 4|
|Course weekly service registration||Monday, August 31 – Tuesday, September 8 at 5 pm|
|Background check fair||Friday, September 11, 1:00 – 5:00 pm; Wednesday, September 16, 1:00 – 5:00 pm|
|Preservice Workshops||Monday, September 14 – Thursday, September 17|
|Fall Service Begins||Monday, September 21|
|No Service Fall Break||Thursday, October 15 – Sunday, October 18|
|No Service Thanksgiving Break||Monday, November 23 – Sunday, November 29|
|Fall Service Ends||Sunday, December 6|
|“Now What?” workshop||Monday, December 7, 5:00 pm|
This course includes a service-learning component; service-learning placements must be coordinated through the Center for Service and Social Action (CSSA).
- Log in to CSSA’s registration website (http://jcu.givepulse.com) using their JCU login credentials.
- Complete all compliance requirements, including a pre-service orientation workshop prior to beginning service for students new to service or an on-campus presentation for returning students.
- Complete all scheduled service visits at the chosen site.
- Service important dates are listed above.
- Students must complete their entire commitment in order to receive credit for this activity.
- In the “Now What?” Workshop, students reflect on their service-learning experience, explore next steps and hear how alumni have integrated their service experience post-graduation.
Service Placements | St. Francis Elementary School
Students in ED 253 will be working with 8th grade children from St. Francis Elementary School in a project-based digital storytelling project. Students at St. Francis will use FlipGrid to create small videos of their current reality, their neighborhood, their response to specific prompts along the lines of “My world and what I care about”. Videos will be created and uploaded on a shared Google Drive. Students in ED 253 will be partnered with class members to help facilitate and guide the story-making process. Students in ED 253 will also create videos of their realities and lives to be shared with the St. Francis students as an example. At the end of the semester, students will hold a virtual “story-telling festival” to share their best work.
- Note: The dates and times of the activities are still being determined by St. Francis and CSSA will provide an update as soon as schedules are known.
Attendance Requirement for Service:
- Weekly service, as part of a service-learning course, is a required part of the course.
- Weekly attendance is mandatory.
- After three absences, students are removed from service and the professor is informed.
Students are required to notify CSSA and email firstname.lastname@example.org at least 24 hours in advance of their service time if they know they are unable to attend service. We communicate this to our student drivers and to our community partners.
“Make-up days” are NOT permitted, due to the constraints this places on community partners. Students who have three absences will be removed from service, as will those who do not comply with the JCU Student Code of Conduct or with the CSSA Service Placement Agreement. Students may also be removed from service at the discretion of the community partner in coordination with the CSSA office.
Learn and Serve America’s National Service-Learning Clearinghouse Service-Learning is a teaching and learning strategy that integrates meaningful community service with instruction and reflection to enrich the learning experience, teach civic responsibility, and strengthen communities.
Learn and Serve America : Video about service-learning and Learn and Serve America.