ED253 includes a mandatory service-learning component through which you will engage in some type of weekly educational service. ED253 courses have a Service-Learning Designation on Banner. Service-learning placements must be coordinated through the Center for Service and Social Action (CSSA).
- Enroll as a service participant and register for a course-approved service activity through CSSA’s registration website: http://jcu.givepulse.com
This course includes a service-learning component; service-learning placements must be coordinated through the Center for Service and Social Action (CSSA).
- Log in to CSSA’s registration website (http://jcu.givepulse.com) using their JCU login credentials.
- Complete all compliance requirements, including a pre-service orientation workshop prior to beginning service for students new to service or an on-campus presentation for returning students.
- Complete all scheduled service visits at the chosen site.
- Service activities open for registration on Tuesday, September 3, 2019 and close on Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 5:00 pm.
- Service begins on Monday, September 23, 2019 and runs through Sunday, December 8, 2019.
- Students must complete their entire commitment in order to receive credit for this activity.
- A “Now What?” Workshop is offered to all service-learning students on Monday, December 9, 2019 from 5:00 – 6:30 pm in the Jardine Room. In this workshop, students reflect on their service-learning experience, explore next steps and hear how alumni have integrated their service experience post-graduation.
Community partners devote much time and effort toward developing quality service-learning experiences for students, and the partners depend on the regular attendance of all students who have registered for the activity. Consequently, students must follow through on the commitment they make to service and should complete ALL of their scheduled service visits.
Attendance Requirement for Service:
- Weekly service, as part of a service-learning course, is a required part of the course.
- Weekly attendance is mandatory.
- After three absences, students are removed from service and the professor is informed.
Students are required to notify CSSA and email firstname.lastname@example.org at least 24 hours in advance of their service time if they know they are unable to attend service. We communicate this to our student drivers and to our community partners.
“Make-up days” are NOT permitted, due to the constraints this places on community partners. Students who have three absences will be removed from service, as will those who do not comply with the JCU Student Code of Conduct or with the CSSA Service Placement Agreement. Students may also be removed from service at the discretion of the community partner in coordination with the CSSA office.
Learn and Serve America’s National Service-Learning Clearinghouse Service-Learning is a teaching and learning strategy that integrates meaningful community service with instruction and reflection to enrich the learning experience, teach civic responsibility, and strengthen communities.
Learn and Serve America : Video about service-learning and Learn and Serve America.