ED253 includes a mandatory service-learning component through which you will engage in some type of weekly educational service. ED253 courses have a Service-Learning Designation on Banner. Service-learning placements must be coordinated through the Center for Service and Social Action (CSSA).
This course includes a service-learning component; service-learning placements must be coordinated through the Center for Service-Learning and Social Action (CSSA). The purpose of a service-learning component is to create a dynamic real-world dialogue with your course content and the realities in the community. Relationships matter and require commitment. You are expected to honor your commitment by showing respect in all manner of interactions from showing up consistently and on time, by being fully present to those with whom you are working, and to participating fully in the activity you select.
- Log in to CSSA’s registration website (http://jcu.givepulse.com) using their JCU login credentials.
- Complete all compliance requirements, including a pre-service orientation workshop prior to beginning service for all students in weekly service-learning courses.
- Monitor and respond promptly to email notifications from email@example.com
- Complete all scheduled service visits at the chosen site.
- Service activities open for registration on Monday, August 30, 2021 and close on Tuesday, September 7, 2021 at 5:00 pm.
- Service begins on Saturday, September 18, 2021 and runs through Sunday, December 5, 2021.
- Students must complete their entire commitment in order to receive credit for this activity.
- A “Now What?” Workshop is offered to all service-learning students on Monday, December 6, 2021 in the LSC Conference Room at 5:00 pm-6:15 pm (Dinner is provided). In this workshop, students reflect on their service-learning experience, explore next steps, internships, courses to take next, and hear how alumni have integrated their service experience post-graduation.
Community partners devote much time and effort toward developing quality service-learning experiences for students, and the partners depend on the regular attendance of all students who have registered for the activity. Consequently, students must follow through on the commitment they make to service and should complete ALL of their scheduled service visits. Service runs for 10 weeks in the semester and the weekly commitment is approximately 3 hours a week (including transportation time).
Attendance Requirement for Service:
- The weekly or project-based service activity is a required part of the course.
- Attendance or participation is required. It is also a sign of respect for others.
- Students who do not meet the expected level of engagement will result in the professor being notified.
Students are required to notify CSSA and email firstname.lastname@example.org at least 24 hours in advance of their service time if they know they are unable to attend service. We communicate this to our student drivers and to our community partners.
“Make-up days” are NOT permitted, due to the constraints this places on community partners. Students are expected to behave respectfully and courteously at all times. Cell phone use at service activities is not permitted. Students who do not comply with the Community Partner’s expectations, the JCU Student Code of Conduct or with the CSSA Service Placement Agreement will be removed and this may impact a student’s grade in the course.
- Service-learning provides a unique and powerful opportunity to get outside your comfort zone and learn amazing things from your experience.
- Make the most of each opportunity and live up to your own highest expectations and values.
JCU Center for Service and Social Action (CSSA)
CSSA’s online registration system
Learn and Serve America’s National Service-Learning Clearinghouse Service-Learning is a teaching and learning strategy that integrates meaningful community service with instruction and reflection to enrich the learning experience, teach civic responsibility, and strengthen communities.
Learn and Serve America : Video about service-learning and Learn and Serve America.